The Dylan Thomas Birthplace
Johnny Depp Visits the Birthplace
We were privileged to welcome actor, writer & musician Johnny Depp to the Dylan Thomas Birthplace, Swansea, Wales on July 7th 2023.
- The tour started in the Parlour with Alun & Geoff giving Johnny a history of the house and its restoration. Back in 2005 Geoff rescued Dylan’s Birthplace from a run down student bedsit and restored it back to 1914, the year Dylan was born.
- The next stop had to be the Front Bedroom. The very room that Dylan was born. A special place.
- Next was Dylan’s sister’s bedroom. Nancy had dreams of becoming an actor, just like Johnny!
- Then it was time to see Dylan’s tiny bedroom. Like many visitors Johnny was amazed that so much important Welsh writing came out of this small space. Johnny enjoyed a moment of reflection in this atmospheric room.
- In Dylan’s Parents Bedroom Johnny was shown the window overlooking Swansea Bay that Geoff discovered & restored during the renovation. Dylan’s inspiration for ‘ships sailing over the roofs of houses’.
- The gorgeous kitchen offered Johnny a glimpse into Edwardian domestic life.
- In Dylan’s fathers study Geoff and Johnny exchanged fascinating stories of when they both met President Jimmy Carter – another huge Dylan Fan.
- Before he left Johnny left us some kind words in the visitors book ending with “All respect always, Johnny”.
Johnny kindly invited Geoff, Alun & Sarah to his gig that night with The Hollywood Vampires with Alice Cooper at Swansea Arena. We had a great night, a brilliant gig!
The Birthplace receives no public funding, and is run as a labour of love by the Haden family and a handful of loyal volunteers. So it was wonderful to hear Johnny’s words of support and encouragement for the Birthplace, and everything we do to help tell Dylan’s story. To find out different ways to support us please click here: SUPPORT US
Johnny Depp in Conversation at The Dylan Thomas Birthplace
After his tour of Dylan’s Birthplace Johnny Depp took a few moments to express what the visit & the house meant to him. As you can see he initially found it hard to put into words how he felt. As a Dylan fan or ‘fiend’ in his words – the emotion of being in the place where Dylan was born, lived and wrote, was overwhelming.
BBC Radio Cymru: Alun was interviewed on Dros Frecwast on 10/07/23. Interview starts at 1hr 40 mins into the broadcast. The interview is in Welsh/yn Cymraeg.
S4C: Alun was interviewed at the Birthplace for the Heno programme. Interview starts at 16min 50 secs into the broadcast. The interview is in Welsh/yn Cymraeg.
The News International: Johnny Depp delights locals of Welsh town as he visits poet Dylan Thomas’ birthplace
Hello Magazine: Johnny Depp makes surprise visit to view home in Wales
RNZ New Zealand Radio: Johnny Depp visits birthplace of Dylan Thomas
Sunday Times 09/07/23
South Wales Evening Post 10/07/23
All images and videos credits: Sarah Haden/Dylan Thomas Birthplace/@DylanThomasBirthplace
No images or videos are to be used without permission or credit.
To request permission & press requests please CONTACT US